My Etsy Shop

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Chalcophyllite, Majuba Hill Mine, Pershing County, Nevada
Another rare and beautiful mineral, you see, not all rares are black uglies.
Majuba Hill is still being mined for copper, silver and gold.  


Some interesting gold lore:


The Federal Reserve Bank of New York holds the world's largest accumulation of monetary gold. The vault is 25 meters (80 feet) beneath the street and holds $147 billion worth of gold bullion. The bedrock of Manhattan is strong enough to support the weight of the vault, its door, and the gold inside.
GOLD | American Museum of Natural History


I really need to remember to buy a house with a stronger foundation.


The largest gold nugget ever found is the “Welcome Stranger” discovered by John Deason and Richard Oates in Australia on February 5, 1869. The nugget is 10 by 25 inches and yielded 2,248 ounces of pure gold. It was found just two inches below the ground surface.
50 Interesting Facts About Gold


So my favorite story about gold is from Tucson.  I was wandering about the Inn Suites hotel one day and came upon a room with just one large (very very large) gold nugget sitting on a table.  An elderly gentleman was sitting at a desk chair at the table.  I stood admiring this huge uncaged nugget of gold and chatting with this gentleman for about a half hour or so.  Well I had to get back to work but I had one question.  So I said the the man:  "You are very brave to sit here by yourself with this large and extremely valuable specimen of gold, don't you worry?"  He said "  no m'am, step around the back of the table and I will show you why."  He had the largest handgun pointed forward I have ever seen.  The thing was a bazooka.  




No comments:

Post a Comment